What is Everyday Carry (EDC)?
Everyday Carry is the all-encompasing phrase for the essential items you take with you on a daily basis and use for specific tasks. It’s the gear that will never leave your pockets and ensure your preparedness for anything.EDC is all about being prepared for any and all situations. It involves taking a closer look at your daily routines and assessing the items you use everyday.
What are some essential Everyday Carry items?
Here at The Ridge, we build quality products that simplify and streamline your life, like our minimalist wallets and compact key cases.
While your specific EDC essentials depend entirely on your day-to-day, there are several items we believe should be considered for any EDC setup:
- A pocket knife or fixed blade, ideally made using water-resistant stainless steel. These blades are handy for many situations, including opening cans and conducting minor repairs.
- A sturdy or key organizer declutters your pockets, enabling you to quickly find the right key.
- Minimalist, RFID- Blocking wallets are good Everyday Carry items because you can use them to store credit cards, IDs, and cash. These wallets are also easy to conceal.
- A small notebook should be part of your kit. After all, you never know when you might need to make a note of something and can’t use an electronic device to do it.
- A reliable pen is necessary to jot down those important thoughts and to take notes.
- A weatherproof backpack or briefcase to carry your essentials from points A to B is a must.
What should you carry in an everyday backpack?
In addition to the EDC essentials mentioned earlier, here are several other pieces of EDC gear we recommend you carry in your everyday backpack:
- A small pocket knife for those day-to-day tasks
- A key case that protects your keys
- Protection for your smartphone, such as a phone case
- A moisture-whicking hat to keep you dry and out of the sun
- A pen that won’t quit and will work just as hard as you do
- Smart wallets containing RFID blocking technology to thwart digital hackers
These are just our suggestions. Ultimately, the answer to the question of what to pack for your EDC depends on you. Ask yourself what items you will use the most. Pack those first. Then, ask yourself what you might need in an emergency, and pack those items next. You should find that you’ve created a list of what you need to have on your person at all times.